Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Eating clean with creativity...

People often ask me how to eat clean without getting bored, or how I am so creative with my clean meals. I never really thought I was that creative with food, because I pretty much eat the same or similar foods day-after-day, week-after-week. When in my off-season from competing I do experiment a lot more with different foods and have more variety. I think more than anything I'm just creative with mixing and matching the same foods.

I keep myself very busy most of the time so all of my meals are SIMPLE!. They look good and taste good with using only a few ingredients. I'm no gourmet chef, and I'm sure there would be many people who would not care for my cooking...it tends to be on spicy side (I put hot sauce in and on everything), but my family and friends seem to think it's pretty good.

If you were to go look in my refrigerator/freezer/pantry at any given time you will always find the following foods: chicken breast, ground buffalo, eggs, tilapia, chicken sausage, shrimp, canned albacore tuna,  plain greek yogurt, bell peppers, spinach, onions, cucumbers, frozen berries, frozen green beans, broccoli, romaine lettuce, bananas, pineapple, rolled oats, sweet potatoes/yams, brown rice/brown rice pasta, quinoa/quinoa pasta, nut butter, avocado, ezekiel bread/wraps, protein powder and almonds.  Condiments you will often find include: Sriracha hot sauce, spicy/flavored mustard, Walden Farms salad dressings and sugar free syrup, pesto, and SALSA! This is really what I live off of. Occasionally you will also find turkey bacon, cottage cheese, ,turkey breast, almond cheese, granola, other types of fruit and veggies, steak, salmon, almond milk, hummus... So here is a clean grocery list for you. Get shopping and get cooking!

When preparing/cooking food. I like to grill as much as possible. It gives a great flavor without having to do much to it. Otherwise I usually bake it or use the crockpot (simple). I love the magic bullet for making shakes and smoothies. I cook in large quantities so I always have something ready to eat. I also tend to make single dish meals, meaning I throw all of my food together. Similar to a stir-fry but I do it with almost everything. For those of you who like your food separate and not touching, my style is not for you. I rarely follow recipes, but I will start posting some of my favorite meals so you can give them a try.

It's really about experimenting and finding what you like and what works for you!

Happy clean eating :)

2 comments:

  1. Is anyone having trouble posting comments?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ate clean for awhile and it's probably the best I ever felt and also the quickest I've lost weight. I'm trying to get myself back to a clean way of eating. Thanks for the insight of what you keep stocked in your house! That is very helpful!

    ReplyDelete